Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon used and the Township was structured in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Village was incorporated in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a jail, install a public well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and establish liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a difficulty and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was arranged, which happens to be the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the family members after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so more time could be allocated to crops and dog care. Immediately after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the battle ended individuals were able to get their lives back again on the right track, at least for a while, before click here the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the community needed to keep together as part of your. Through a federal give, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the united states into World Warfare 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph got a people of around 1050, losing 10 heroic soldiers to the battle. The community remained strong and continuing to enhance the Town, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, along with a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its drinking water supply, and goes on to do so.